2013 Annual Art of Wood Exhibit is Scheduled
At our September Guild meeting, attending members voted to go ahead and plan our awesome exhibit, the Art of Wood, during the Downtown Helena Fall Art Walk. Last year we were snowed out (or so we thought) and cancelled the exhibit at the last minute, but it turns out the folks at the Placer cafe said many people came into the Placer looking for the Guild show and when they found out it had been cancelled, seemed very disappointed. So … we must be a popular destination during the art walk. Maybe it’s the wine and outrageous food? Or, more likely, it’s the diversity of amazing woodworking the art-walkers come to see.
- Who: all members of the Guild are encouraged to come to the show at the Placer and mingle with the public. This is a way for us to promote our membership, and tell people what the Guild is all about.
- When: November 8, 2013 from 5:00 to 9:00 pm
- Where: the Placer lobby on the walking mall, downtown Helena.
- Please Help: we ask all guild members, even if you do not have a piece in the show, to come on down and help us set up the show. There is some moving, as well as arranging, lighting, signage, bio-boards, food table, etc. that all needs to be set up before 5:00 pm. We will be meeting at the Placer at 3:00 pm. This year, the cafe owners have promised us they will get help to move the furniture into the basement, to make room for our displays.
- Food: please bring a food item to share with the public. Members typically bring at least one large tray of finger foods — appetizers, fruits, desserts … the guild provides wine and non-alcohol punch, plates, cups, etc. Several hundred people will visit the show that night. Our show has a reputation for having the best food on the art walk so, hey — we gotta live up to that, eh?
- If you are entering a piece: it’s time to make your plans and get your artwork information to Maureen (so she can make the labels, etc) get your entry fees to Bill Pratt and tell Tim Carney you are going to enter something. Here’s what to do:
1) Contact Tim Carney (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding your interest, and to find out what you need to provide. He will tell you about the photos of your works, and the titles/prices and other information we need in order to make labels. Please don’t wait til the last minute to get this information in to Tim. Thank you!
2) Send a check for the entry fee to Guild treasurer, Bill Pratt. Contact Bill by email (bpratt9
3) If you are a new member and you do not already have a bio on the boards we display at the show, please send a one-paragraph bio to Maureen (email@example.com) by October 15th at the latest. Take a look at the bio board example below, from a past show.
One last piece of guild business — 2013 – 2014 Dues: for those of you who didn’t pay their 2013-2014 dues at our September 23rd meeting, or were unable to attend, please send Bill Pratt a check for $25.00 made out to the Helena Woodworkers Guild, and mail it to Helena Woodworkers Guild, c/o Bill Pratt, 1035 Avian Rd., Helena, MT 59602. Thank you!