February Guild Meeting Working with Jigs and a Vintage Jigsaw
Our February Guild meeting will be Monday, February 3rd at 6:00 pm. Tom Dolan has graciously volunteered to host the meeting at his shop. He is known locally for his cute, functional wooden toys. At last fall’s art walk, Tom sold out of his wood toy inventory. They make great gifts! He also makes really nice furniture in his back yard garage woodworking shop.
Tom has offered to give us a demonstration of working with small wood pieces as well as some tips on using jigs. He will also show us a vintage jigsaw. Cool!
Here’s what’s on the program:
- 6:00 pm: Potluck dinner and feasting on Goulash — a dish from the old country — with your fellow woodworkers.
- Discussion about a Guild workshop Tim Carney is putting together on how to use Sketch-Up.
- Demonstration by Tom on using jigs, working with small wood pieces, and a vintage jigsaw. He will also show us some of his wood toys.
Tom and his wife, Carol, will provide the main dish — Goulash (yummo!) Please bring a potluck side dish to share and maybe a beverage. I can think of some yummy sides to go with the goulash … We (Maureen and Tim) are bringing a German Sweet N Sour Hot Red Cabbage Dish. How about coleslaw … cucumber salad … or a big green salad? Those are always great at potlucks. Potatoes? Spaetzel? Buttered noodles? Warm rye bread! Let’s go gourmet this time, guys. [grin]
Before the evening’s program, we have a little business to cover, but mostly our meeting will be about the usual great camaraderie, great food and useful tips on working with wood.
- Date: Monday, February 3rd
- Time: 6:00 pm to around 8:00 ish
- Where: (click here to go to a detailed google map. Zoom out to see Helena on the map.) Written directions are at the very bottom of this post.
- Please Bring: side dish or dessert. Also a beverage to share
- Also bring: a friend who might be interested in joining, or who just wants to check us out!
Gallery of some of Tom Dolan’s woodworking:
Please join us and again, we encourage you to bring a friend along — there are so many local woodworkers who may not know about our guild and we know you know who they are! We welcome all folks who are interested in woodworking in any way shape or form — even if they are just thinking about getting into woodworking as a hobby or career. Anyone can join us for a meeting or two, then decide if they want to become a member of the guild.
Directions to Tom and Carol’s house. They live in the Sunhaven subdivision:
If you are coming from the Helena Valley, get yourself to Custer Avenue, then at the intersection of Custer and Benton, turn SOUTH on Benton, take a RIGHT on Elmwood Lane, then immediate LEFT on Fairway Drive. Tom’s house is on your RIGHT. His shop is around in the back yard.
If you are coming from town, once you get to the intersection of Euclid Avenue and Benton, turn NORTH onto Benton. Turn LEFT onto Meadow drive, then immediately take a RIGHT onto Fairway Drive. Tom’s house will be on your LEFT. His shop is around in the back yard.
See you there!